Emergency Medical Response Action Plan
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Trained First Responders Only Follow Indications For AED Use:
- Non Responsive
- Not Breathing
Other Medical Emergencies
Responder should provide only the patient care consistent with his/her training
If a medical emergency exists the following procedure is to be performed immediately
- Someone call 911 and someone else call Campus Public Safety at ext. 2222 immediately and simultaneously The caller(s) should give the following information to 911 and Campus Public Safety:
- Type of emergency
- Address of facility
- Location of emergency
- Phone number they are calling from if asked
- Further information requested from 911 or Campus Public Safety operator
- Send someone outside of building to meet and direct EMS and Campus Public Safety
- Start CPR immediately until Campus Public Safety or EMS (911) arrives with an AED
- 911 and Campus Public Safety should know where inside the building or where on the grounds you are so that they respond to the location quickly
- Any trained CPR/AED First Responder should begin the AED treatment procedure if you are close to an AED location until EMS (911) or Campus Public Safety arrives. Retrieve an AED or send someone to retrieve an AED. Remember to contact 911 and Campus Public Safety immediately. If people are available at the scene, direct one person to contact 911 and someone else to contact Campus Public Safety simultaneously.
- Look for emergency medical ID’s such as bracelets on injured persons and try to keep the victim as comfortable as possible until emergency personnel arrive.
- If a medical problem is non-life threatening, call the Department of Public Safety & Security.
- If the victim can be safely moved than he/she will either be transported by security personnel to the Lawrence Hospital Emergency Room or to Health Services, depending on the severity of the medical problem and the time of day.
- The victim can also request to speak to a doctor over the phone to decide whether a visit to the emergency room is appropriate.
- If security personnel believe that a victim should not be moved or that emergency medical care is required immediately, then they will call 911.
AED Locations on Campus
- Campbell Sports Center: Entrance floor facing rear stairs
- Bates: First Floor hallway next to the cafeterias
- Health Services: Inside Lyles House
- Campus Public Safety: Vehicles
AED cabinets are not locked. The visible key lock is only to deactivate the alarm.