Bidding Farewell to McMasters
McMasters, a small house bought by the College in 1969 and which served as a student residence through the 2001-02 academic year, was razed on December 17 to prepare for the construction of the Monika A. and Charles A. Heimbold, Jr. Visual Arts Center. The ground where McMasters and its greenhouse stood will become the southwest corner of the Center, site of the new sculpture studio. Over the course of 33 years, more than 300 students lived in McMasters, which was built earlier in the century as a three-car garage and gardener’s apartment for the main house on the property, now known as Slonim. During its time in private hands, the tract included an apple orchard on the land between McMasters and Kimball Avenue. McMasters was named for Helen McMaster, who taught literature at Sarah Lawrence from 1936 to 1959. Where did the final “S” come from? It’s a mystery….