And the Survey Says . . .
by Allie Janson
We polled first and second year students about their experiences, backgrounds, student life and their thoughts about the future. Here’s what they had to say…
- 33% of students first learned about the genetic counseling profession through an undergraduate course.
- 20% found out about it through an internet-based search.
- 8% were directed towards it through a colleague or co-worker.
- About half of the students are from the US (representing 12 states), 45% are from Canada and the remaining students are from Jordan.
- Over half of the students live in Yonkers, NY.
- 14% live in Bronxville, and 11% live in Manhattan.
- 36% of students are the eldest child in their family.
- 92% of students have an active facebook.com account.
- 97% of students can see themselves working in a nontraditional genetic counseling role in the future.