Facilitating Play Program
Save the Week: June 23-27, 2013
Sarah Lawrence College—a leader in child development and early childhood education—offers a program on the overarching importance of play in the life of the child. Participants explore uses of play in learning and therapeutic contexts as well as approaches to serving as a "playworker" in a range of settings, including outdoor parks, children’s museums, and hospitals. Sessions on campus are complemented by field observations of children at play.
The program is designed for professionals and graduate students who serve as:
- Social workers
- Early childhood educators
- Play therapists
- Child-life specialists in hospitals
- "Playworkers" in outdoor parks, playgrounds, and children’s museums
- Specialists in other areas of child development and education
Organized around the developmental importance of play, this summer intensive features:
- Lectures, discussions, case studies, hands-on seminars, and field-based observations
- An interdisciplinary approach to play
- Multiple perspectives offered by faculty and practitioners
Participants are expected to read a set of articles in advance of the program and to prepare for seminar and workshop activities as required. All participants who complete the program will receive a contact/in-service hours certificate.
Program fees are due after acceptance to the program and no later than June 23, 2013.
- Fee for participants of the Facilitating Play program is $500 (includes meals, transportation, and materials)
- Fee for those taking the program for graduate credit (which will entail a final written project) is $1000 (includes one graduate credit, meals, transportation, and materials)
Schools, centers, other employers, and parent groups are often willing to pay for professional development programs.
Space is limited! Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The application deadline is June 7, 2013. To apply to the Facilitating Play program, download and complete an application form. E-mail the completed application to email@example.com or mail the completed application to:
Child Development Institute (Boulder)
Sarah Lawrence College
1 Mead Way
Bronxville, NY 10708
If you are mailing your application, please let us know so we can expect your application.
For additional information about the Facilitating Play program, please contact the Child Development Institute at (914) 395-2630 or firstname.lastname@example.org.